Tightening saggy skin after bariatric surgery
What is meant by sagging?
Sagging is the appearance of severe skin signs in the form of a wrinkle or loose skin that causes inconvenience and embarrassing feeling, in addition to some psychological disorders such as anxiety, tension, and depression.
What are the causes of sagging?
Skin sagging is due to several causes, the most important of which is losing a large amount of weight in a short period, especially for obese patients that perform weight loss techniques, such as liposuction, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, and others.
These strategies are the most famous and effective ways to lose weight and get rid of obesity and fatty lumps, but they cause many saggings that can be surgically tightened with cosmetic experts to restore the appearance of the skin as vital as its nature.
Saggy body parts that can be surgically tightened with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa:
Sagging appears after bariatric surgeries because the skin does not have enough flexibility to contract or shrink again after being stretched because of the severe weight gain. After severe weight loss with bariatric surgeries, you can, with Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa, overcome the sagging of:
• Lower back.
Other effective ways to tighten the saggy body and restore its appearance and vitality:
1. Exercising: This method is considered one of the most effective ways to tighten loose skin after bariatric surgeries. Studies have proven that body-tightening exercise and a proper sporting training or even trying to walk for at least an hour a day after bariatric surgeries help. It greatly reduces the patient’s loss of a lot of his muscle mass. It even helps to tighten the body and significantly reduce the sagging resulting from rapid weight loss after bariatric surgeries and helps to obtain a healthy and fit body.
These studies also recommend practicing resistance exercises or lifting iron weight plates, as these exercises, especially with commitment and continuity, help to tighten the skin significantly and give it the strength it needs. Exercise continuity is necessary as much as possible.
2. Drinking water in abundant quantities: Water has a magical effect on the outcomes of bariatric surgeries, increasing burning rate, and maintaining the health and freshness of the skin, thus reducing the appearance of sagging to a large extent.
3. Eat a healthy, balanced diet that contains all the nutrients: One of the most important nutrients for eating a healthy diet is protein; Therefore, be sure to eat permitted amount after your bariatric surgery to maintain your muscle mass and reduce the appearance of saggy skin significantly, while also maintaining the intake of the other nutrients from vegetables, fruits, legumes, dairy products, and complex starches.
Advices of Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa to reduce the appearance of body sagging after bariatric surgeries:
• Reducing exposure to sunlight as much as possible to reduce skin dryness and thus maintain skin elasticity.
• Reducing swimming and time spent in the pool; to avoid the effect of chlorine on skin dryness.
• Paying attention to moisturize the skin at all times to maintain its freshness and exfoliate it continuously to increase its blood flow. The circulatory activation greatly helps to tighten the skin and reduce bariatric surgery sagging.
• Maintaining a healthy diet containing all the nutrients and drinking a lot of water, along with some exercise, especially resistance exercises and weight lifting.
• Taking some nutritional supplements after bariatric surgeries - but under the supervision of your bariatrician - such as gelatin, collagen, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid. Nutritional supplements reduce skin sagging and maintains skin freshness significantly.
Body sagging after bariatric surgery may cause:
1. Difficulty of movement.
2. Significant reduction of physical activity.
3. Skin infections or the appearance of some rashes due to excessive skin friction.
Who is the ideal candidate for tightening body sagging after bariatric surgery?
• Those who suffer from severe sagging.
• Those who do not plan to have children or become pregnant so that the procedure's outcome is not negatively affected.
• Those whose bodies contain severe sagging that hinder their lives or affect theirs confidence in themselves.
• Those who have reached a steady weight after bariatric surgeries.
Steps to tighten body sagging after bariatric surgery with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa:
• First, The patient will be sedated under general anesthesia.
• Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa will make some incisions in the saggy skin.
• Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa will remove the excess skin, then he will tighten the abdominal muscles while maintaining the position of the belly button in a suitable place for it.
• The doctor then closes the surgical incisions with precise surgical threads that do not appear, placing small tubes under the skin with medical bandages to help drain any excess fluid or blood from the body.
After the skin removal surgery with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa:
• After the skin removal surgery with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa, you will be transferred to your care room under medical supervision. You may need to stay in the hospital for one night.
• You will return to your normal activities after two to three weeks while avoiding any strenuous activity for several weeks.
• Paying attention to surgical incisions is almost one of the most important keys of the surgical success. Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa will advise you to avoid any excessive movement or friction in the area and maintain incision cleanliness constantly.
• The result will appear after four to six weeks. You will notice a great change in the shape of the skin that will add joy to your life. Generally, the final result will appear about a year after the surgery. The scars of the surgery will fade over time, till becoming completely unnoticeable.
When should I communicate quickly with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa after body tightening surgery?
You should contact Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa immediately if you notice any bleeding, if the healing of the incisions is noticeably slow, or if the swelling continues for a long time without noticing a satisfactory and strong result.