Tummy Tuck surgery
What is Tummy Tuck Surgery?
It is a surgical tightening of the abdomen to improve its shape and appearance by removing excess fat and flabby skin, with modification of the weak abdominal muscles, to give the abdomen an attractive sporty appearance. Patients go for this surgery to get rid of the fat in the lower abdominal area and flabby skin around the navel.
Causes of the saggy abdomen and fat accumulation:
The reasons for the accumulation of abdominal fat and the weakness of its muscles include several factors, such as pregnancy and frequent childbirth, aging and unstable weight changes, or cesarean deliveries that causes weakness of its muscles.
Tummy tuck surgery may be associated with tightening and lifting the breast to improve its aesthetic appearance and add an attractive female appearance.
Tummy Tuck surgery is not suitable for:
• planning for pregnancy in the future.
• Who aims to lose weight.
• BMI is greater than 30.
• Severe diseases such as heart, diabetes, and hypertension.
• Significant damage to the abdominal tissues after previous surgery.
Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa's considerations before performing Tummy Tuck surgery:
• Review your medical history, the types of medications you are currently taking, and any surgery you have done.
• Review your family's medical history and if you are allergic to any medicine.
• Determine your goal after Tummy Tuck surgery and if you follow a regimen or plan to become pregnant.
• perform a complete physical examination with some other laboratory tests.
Your role before performing Tummy Tuck surgery:
• Quit smoking because it increase the recovery process after the surgery due to its negative effect on blood circulation in the skin.
• Stop taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin because it may cause bleeding during the surgery.
• Stop taking any anti-inflammatory medications or nutritional supplements.
• Maintain a stable weight as much as possible. If you are overweight or obese, you need to reach your ideal weight before the surgery.
The steps of Tummy Tuck surgery with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa:
1. The patient is anesthetized generally under the supervision of a specialized anesthesiologist.
2. Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa opens a horizontal surgical incision in the pubic area below the navel to get a hidden incision as much as possible.
3. Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa removes any excess fat cells or accumulations in the abdominal area, as well as modifying the connective tissue and muscles and tightening them besides tightening the skin to give them a natural sporty appearance.
4. Then Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa will correct the position of the navel through a small incision.
5. Then he covers all the incisions and the navel with surgical bandages and places small tubes around the incision; to get rid of any fluid or blood from the tissues.
What happens after Tummy Tuck surgery with Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa?
• Prof. Ahmed El Sherifa may ask you to stay in the hospital for two hours after the surgery, or at most for a whole night; to keep you under medical observation.
• He will advise you to try to walk the next day.
• Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa may prescribe some analgesics that you can take in case you feel pain at the site of the surgical wounds.
• You will need some antibiotics to avoid bacterial infection after the surgery.
• You have to wear a tummy tuck corset for at least 6 weeks after the surgery to prevent fluid accumulation in the wound site and reduce swelling, thus accelerating the recovery period after the surgery.
• You will be advised not to do strenuous physical activities within the first weeks after the surgery, with the need to follow a healthy diet as much as possible.
Abdominoplasty is not a way to lose weight, but rather it is a cosmetic solution that reshapes the abdominal area and makes the body look more aesthetically in a tight and harmonious way. It can be performed in two ways: a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck.
1- Full tummy tuck:
It is the surgery that is suitable for those people who have lost a large amount of weight or have excessive sagging after childbirth in the abdominal area, making the anterior abdominal wall excessively relaxed as well as the waist area.
In this surgery, the abdominal tissue and fat above its muscles are lifted to the rib bones and the excess abdominal skin is cut and discarded. Then these fatty tissues are removed. The abdominal muscles are tightened and suturing the skin with adjusting the position of the navel if required. This surgery requires about two to four hours in the operating room.
2- Mini tummy tuck:
It is recommended for people who do have not severe abdominal sagging but only complain of simple saggy skin due to the weakness and relaxation of the abdominal muscles. It is the ideal surgery for the person who reaches his ideal weight but a saggy abdomen annoys him.
A small surgical incision is made in the lower abdomen near the pubic area below the navel to remove the simple excess fat and excess skin. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa tightens the loose abdominal muscles and closes the incision site without modifying the navel place at all. This surgical wound is much smaller than the full tummy tuck wound. The duration of the surgery in the operating room ranges from one to two hours only, unlike a full tummy tuck surgery.
The type of tummy tuck surgery, full or mini, is determined by Prof. Dr. Ahmed El Sherifa, according to the amount of fat accumulation in the abdomen and the degree of sagging. The duration of the surgery ranges from one hour to four hours, depending on its type.
What after Tummy Tuck surgery?
After the surgery, you will get a tight tummy and a harmonious athletic figure, and you will have psychological comfort and freedom to choose the clothes you prefer, especially after removing the saggy abdominal skin and its annoying shape.
The swelling will disappear after the surgery within three days. Also, simple fluid disappears over time, and the suture wound will gradually disappear, especially with the use of high-quality cosmetic threads that make the shape of the suture scar not visible.